Although immigration changes may be what concern us most at this time, we must remember that it is also time to take action to protect our assets. In order for us to make good financial decisions, it is extremely important to be well informed. This will allow us to be prepared for any eventuality.
Some points to remember are:
- You are entitled to receive a salary for any work you have done. It does not matter that you do not have a work permit or a social security number.
- Consider giving a power of attorney to someone you trust.
- Be careful when you carry cash because if you lose it, you cannot get it back.
- If you rent or lease, find out if your lease allows for an assignment or sublease, and if the lease specifies what the landlord can do if you have to leave the property
- If you own a home, don't rush to sell it. Consider all the options available to you to protect it.
Click on the resource links for more information on plans to protect your assets.